Florida International University and the Florida Consortium of Metropolitan Research Universities are proud to present the Focus on First Generation Student Conference. The Focus on First Generation Student Conference will take place April 8-9, 2019 at Florida International University. This inaugural event will serve as an innovative platform for Academic and Student Affairs professionals to engage and share strategies for building institutional effectiveness, increasing equitable outcomes and supporting career readiness of 1st Generation Students.
- Develop networks to encourage knowledge sharing and collaboration
- Provide opportunities to discuss effective strategies and complexities in supporting academic success and access of first generation students
- Showcase innovative interventions and best practices which support academic achievement and post-graduation success for first generation students
Who should attend?
Faculty, staff or those interested in the following areas:
- Academic Advisement
- Career Services Advisement (Internships, Co-Op)
- First Year Experiences
- Honors College
- Housing & Residence Life
- Institutional Knowledge Management
- Leadership Programs
- Registrar’s Office
- Student Wellness
- Student Success
- Transfer Student Services
- Undergraduate Admissions
- Undergraduate Enrollment
First Generation at FIU
Florida International University is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) with a minority student enrollment of 83%. More than half of our undergraduate students qualify for Pell grants and are the first in their families to graduate from college. We are committed and grounded in the theory of developing a culminating mass of promising, talented and diverse pool of underserved minority students that succeed in higher education.
Since opening for classes in 1972 with the largest first-day enrollment in American collegiate history, FIU has distinguished itself as one of the nation’s largest, most diverse institutions of higher education.